The suicide rate in construction is about four times greater than the national rate. And, since CFMA members are responsible for the financial resources of their companies, they are in a unique position to protect the health and safety of their people – their most important assets. Therefore, CFMA has taken the lead on this industry-wide initiative by providing CFMA chapters and members with suicide prevention information, education, and resources.
Take the Pledge
CFMA Bluegrass Chapter would like all of its member companies to take the Construction Industry Alliance for Suicide Prevention’s (CIASP’s) pledge to STAND up for suicide prevention. When a company pledges to STAND up for suicide prevention, it is promising to create safe cultures, provide training to identify and help those at risk, raise awareness about the suicide crisis in construction, normalize conversations around suicide and mental health, and ultimately, decrease the risks associated with suicide in construction.
The following videos offer quick educational presentations to help build your personal awareness about this issue. They can also be used for discussion with leadership and to share with your workforce to enhance awareness.
- Part 1: Why Suicide Prevention in Construction?
- Part 2: CIASP Overview
- Part 3: Suicide and Mental Health Impact
- Part 4: Risk Factors
- Part 5: Warning Signs and What to Do
- Part 6: Suicide Prevention in the Workplace
Assess Your Company
Evaluate your company’s suicide prevention preparedness to handle a mental health or suicide crisis with CIASP’s Needs Analysis & Implementation Tool. This evaluation is most effective when representatives from all facets of the organization are involved.
- Meet and discuss this topic with company leadership, HR department, and safety teams
- Let your workforce know about this new initiative via company-wide communication
- Utilize the resources to create awareness, such as posters
- Use videos as part of your employee training
- Incorporate suicide prevention into your toolbox talks
Concerned About Yourself or Someone Else? Get Help Now
- Suicide: Know the Warning Signs
- Take a Behavioral Health Screening
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Text HELLO to 741741
Your generous tax-deductible donation to the Construction Industry Alliance for Suicide Prevention, a 501(c)(3) organization, will help to provide educational information, resources, and other charitable activities to advocate for suicide prevention and address mental health issues in the U.S. construction industry.
Click here to donate now.